Saturday, November 3, 2007

Water conservation

Instead of having a well or being on city water, my house has a cistern. And let me tell you, I have never been so aware of my water usage ever! The tanks hold about 5,000 gallons and once it runs out, I have to call the water man and he drives out with his water truck to give me a re-fill. It costs about $60-$75. I'm constantly terrified that I'll be in the middle of washing my hair and the water slows to a trickle then stops. Those will be good times.
The back of my house. Deck construction in progress.

The solar panels enjoying some serious Wyoming sunshine.


Front of the house.

There they are. The cisterns - the source of serious anxiety, yet bizarre fascination for me. You unscrew the top to check the water levels. When it gets really cold, I'm supposed to boil water and pour it into the cistern to prevent freezing. Unbelievable...."Buckhead Betty" no more!

1 comment:

Carol Easterlin said...

You and your cisterns are so mountainous!